Asheville, North Carolina, perfectly located amidst the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, makes an ideal family getaway destination. This beautiful city boasts a unique blend of outdoor adventures, rich history, and a thriving arts scene. If you’re looking for a family trip that packs in variety, Asheville’s got you covered.
Finding The Best Places To Stay in Asheville
The selection of your vacation abode sets the mood for your entire trip. Asheville extends an array of options to cater to a variety of tastes and budgets:
- Luxury Resorts: For families seeking comfort and luxury, Asheville offers premium resorts like The Omni Grove Park Inn. Apart from plush accommodations and top-tier service, the inn provides stunning mountain views, a world-class spa, and gourmet dining experiences that parents will love.
- Vacation Rentals and Cabins: If a private family retreat nestled in nature sounds appealing, Asheville’s numerous vacation rentals and mountain cabins are a great fit. These options are often equipped with full kitchens, cozy living spaces, and outdoor areas for kids to roam.
- Family-Friendly Hotels: Numerous hotels in Asheville cater to the needs of young guests. From dedicated children’s programs to swimming pools and game rooms, these establishments ensure an enjoyable stay for everyone.
- Camping Under the Stars: For families seeking a more rustic experience, Asheville offers numerous well-equipped campgrounds. These sites, like Lake Powhatan Campground and the Asheville Outpost, provide an opportunity to bond over campfires, stargazing, and experiencing nature up close. Many offer facilities like bathrooms, showers, and even Wi-Fi, ensuring you can camp in comfort.
Dive Into Asheville Outdoor Adventures
What better way to create a memorable trip than to enjoy the beautiful outdoor. Asheville is a hotspot for family-friendly outdoor pursuits. So there are plenty of options for children of all ages.
- Whitewater Rafting: Feel the rush of adrenaline as you navigate Asheville’s roaring rivers with professional guides from Asheville Adventure Company’s whitewater division. We offer family-focused trips suitable for all ages and skill levels.
- Hiking: Immerse your family in the scenic beauty of Asheville’s trails. Craggy Gardens Trail, a popular trek, leads to an awe-inspiring summit view, providing a rewarding outdoor experience.
- Biking: Asheville is a biking paradise. Numerous bike rental services facilitate family bike rides through the city’s parks and trails. Asheville Adventure Company offers e-bike rentals and guided tours, which are perfect for groups looking to up close and personal with Asheville.
Leisurely Asheville Nature Explorations
Sometimes a relaxing day is in order, and Asheville has plenty to offer in that department:
- North Carolina Arboretum: This sprawling public garden offers stunning landscapes, walking trails, and seasonal exhibits. The kids’ educational programs and the mesmerizing bonsai exhibition are not to be missed.
- Botanical Gardens at Asheville: Enjoy a tranquil day in this sanctuary of plant life native to the Southern Appalachian region. A picnic here might be the perfect family bonding experience.
- Riverside Strolls: Walking alongside the French Broad River is another fantastic way to unwind. The French Broad River Greenway, a 2.8-mile trail, offers scenic river views, plenty of spots for a family picnic, and playgrounds for children to burn off some energy. It’s a perfect way to spend a leisurely day soaking up Asheville’s natural beauty.
Step Back in Asheville’s History
Asheville, North Carolina, is steeped in history, dating back to its establishment in 1797. It’s best known for its iconic architectural marvel, the Biltmore Estate, which stands as America’s largest home, reflecting the opulence of the Gilded Age. Moreover, the city’s preserved Art Deco architecture, historic trolley tours, and landmarks like the Thomas Wolfe Memorial give glimpses into Asheville’s rich past, making it a captivating destination for history enthusiasts.
Here are a couple of places where history comes alive in Asheville:
- Biltmore Estate: Tour the grandest mansion in America, built during the Gilded Age. Apart from the historic home, there are expansive gardens, a farm with a petting zoo, and a winery, providing fun for all ages.
- Asheville Historic Trolley Tour: This narrated tour offers a comprehensive look at Asheville’s historic landmarks. It’s a fun and educational way to uncover the city’s rich past.
Unleashing Creativity in Asheville’s Art Scene
Asheville’s art scene is a vibrant blend of traditional and contemporary styles, reflecting the city’s eclectic spirit. Asheville’s artistic pulse adds a vibrant rhythm to your trip:
- River Arts District: A cornerstone of Asheville’s artistic community, The River Arts District houses numerous artists’ studios in repurposed industrial buildings, offering visitors a chance to engage with artists and observe their creative process. Experience art in creation and interact with artists across various mediums.
- Asheville Art Museum: Take a deep dive into American art from the 20th and 21st centuries. The museum’s engaging exhibits and educational programs inspire creativity in children.
Asheville’s Culinary Tapestry
Asheville’s food scene is a celebration of fresh, local ingredients with an array of farm-to-table restaurants serving up inventive, flavorful dishes. Known for its culinary creativity and diversity, Asheville also boasts an impressive selection of craft breweries, artisan bakeries, and sweet shops, offering a gastronomic journey that caters to every palate.
- Farm-to-Table Restaurants: Experience Asheville’s culinary passion for fresh, local ingredients at restaurants like Tupelo Honey and The Market Place.
- Kid-Friendly Restaurants: Visit Asheville Pizza & Brewing Company or White Duck Taco Shop for an enjoyable family dining experience.
- Sweet Cravings: Cap off your meal with some homemade ice cream from The Hop or Sunshine Sammies, made using locally sourced ingredients.
Indulging in Asheville’s Nightlife
Asheville’s nightlife is a lively blend of intimate music venues, bustling breweries, and cozy bars, offering entertainment options for every taste. Here are a few great options for when the kids are all tucked in!
- Live Music: Asheville’s live music scene is lively and diverse. Try places like The Orange Peel, The Outpost, or the Grey Eagle for a variety of performances.
- Breweries: Asheville is known as “Beer City, USA”. Once the kids are asleep, it might be the perfect time to sample craft beers at local favorites like Wicked Weed or Burial Beer Co.
- Romantic Strolls: Take a romantic nighttime stroll through the city’s beautifully lit streets or by the River Arts District, reflecting on your amazing family day in Asheville.
Join Asheville’s Celebrations
Asheville’s calendar is dotted with events and festivals. From music festivals to farmers’ markets, there’s always something happening to enhance your Asheville experience. Check the city’s event calendar during your trip to join in the local celebrations.